What is Shockwave Treatment?
Shockwave therapy is a non-invasive treatment that uses high-energy sound waves to stimulate healing in the body. It is commonly used in the field of osteopathy to treat various musculoskeletal conditions.
Chronic pain can interfere with your daily activities, such as working, having a social life and taking care of yourself or others. It can lead to depression, anxiety and trouble sleeping, which can make your pain worse. This response creates a cycle that’s difficult to break.
How does Shockwave work?
During shockwave therapy, a handheld device is used to deliver the sound waves to the affected area. The sound waves create microtrauma in the tissues, which triggers the body’s natural healing response. This leads to increased blood flow, the formation of new blood vessels, and the release of growth factors, all of which promote tissue regeneration and repair.
Shockwave therapy can be used to treat a range of conditions in osteopathy, including:
1. Plantar fasciitis: Shockwave therapy can help reduce pain and inflammation in the plantar fascia, a thick band of tissue that runs along the bottom of the foot.
2. Achilles tendinopathy: This condition involves inflammation and degeneration of the Achilles tendon. Shockwave therapy can help stimulate healing and reduce pain in the affected area.
3. Tennis elbow: Shockwave therapy can be used to treat lateral epicondylitis, commonly known as tennis elbow. It helps reduce pain and promote healing in the tendons of the elbow.
4. Frozen shoulder: Shockwave therapy can help improve the range of motion and reduce pain in individuals with frozen shoulder, a condition characterized by stiffness and pain in the shoulder joint.
5. Chronic back pain: Shockwave therapy can be used to treat chronic back pain by targeting trigger points and promoting tissue healing in the affected area.
It is typically used as a complementary treatment alongside other osteopathic techniques, such as manual therapy and exercise. The number of sessions required will vary depending on the individual and the specific condition being treated.
If you are considering shockwave therapy for osteopathic treatment, please contact Murat on 07809575299