Pelvic pain in pregnancy was originally called Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD) but health professionals now call it Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP) because it affects all the joints of the pelvis not just the one called the Symphysis Pubis.
Symptoms of PGP
- pain deep in the pubic area and groin (between the vagina and anus)
- the pain can be manageable or severe
- it can be brought on by some types of activity, such as walking, climbing stairs and turning over in bed
- you may also have pain across your lower back
- you might have a grinding or clicking sensation in your pubic area
- the pain can be made worse by parting your legs or by leaning on one leg.